Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Rosettes are Red, Violets are....not in this post. :o)

Hello, Lovelies!  I hope your week was fabulous!   I want to share a project I made the other day for Valentine's Day.  It can really be used whenever, if you use red in your decor.
I never really decorated a whole lot for the holidays or seasons.  I have always wanted to, and admired those who did, but never could seem to find the time to do all the projects I have rattling around in my head.  I have a hard time managing my time, and SO many things going on (I'll lay it all out for you sometime...it's NUTS) that I usually end up doing absolutely nothing when I am able to grab some down time. 
As a result, I have spaces in my house (like my own bedroom and bathroom) that have never really been decorated at all.  The walls are still the same off-white they were when we moved in 8 years ago.  BORING!  We did do a remodel in the kitchen, which I love, and the kids' rooms and bathroom are painted.  There have been a couple of times when we thought we might sell, and even had the house on the market for about three months.  Circumstances changed, so we stayed.  We have decided that we will stay in this house for at least another year, maybe two.  So......I have decided to love every space in my home.  Why not?  
So here's to making it lovely!
Rosettes are Red Topiary
This is a great project for any occasion, and requires very little in the way of supplies.  All you need to get started is a pair of sharp scissors, a ruler, disappearing ink fabric marker, and a couple of sheets of felt.  I'm using red, since a certain mushy love holiday is approaching. :o)
 You will also need a four inch styrofoam ball, available anywhere you can find craft supplies.  I think mine came from Walmart, and a hot glue gun.
Mark your felt every 1/2" vertically, then cut along the lines to make nice, even strips, like this:
Do this to both of your felt sheets.  Next, get that glue gun going, and let's make some rosettes!  Take a strip and pinch the end:


 You will then twist the strip as you wrap it around itself, using a dot of hot glue every so often to keep things together.
Yes, I know I need to stop biting my nails.  I went YEARS without biting them, and recently started again...attractive, isn't it?  Anywhooooo...keep twisting and gluing until you have a cute little rosette, like this:
CUTE!  Do this to all your strips, and pretty soon you will have a nice little pile of rosettes!   You can put them in a pretty little bowl and leave it at that, if you like:
But I don't wanna do that, so I'm gonna grab the aforementioned styrofoam ball and glue it up, baby!  Snuggle those puppies up to each other so the white doesn't show through:
There's not really a pattern to it, just fill in all the space until your ball is completely covered.  
Now it just needs a home!  I used a chunky candlestick for mine.


Ta-DA!  Great for part of a centerpiece, on a mantle, windowsill, wherever!  If you make one for yourself, send me a pic so I can applaud your craftiness!  Email pictures to FiddleNBowBiz@gmail.com
Happy Crafting!
P.S. Stay tuned....a giveaway will be posted tomorrow!  WOOT! 

No comments:

Post a Comment