Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year and Christmas Re-Cap

Happy New Year, everyone!  Our Christmas break is over as of today.  Sigh.  Now all the hectic schedules and rushing around starts up again.  It's been really great to not have a rigid schedule these last couple of weeks.  I am kind of ready for the boys to go back to school, though. ;P
Our Christmas was stretched over about four days.  We spent Christmas Eve with the Rice side.  Mike's mom was in town, and we gathered at Greg and April's (his brother and sister-in-law) house for ice cream sundaes and presents.  Seth read the bible, and we talked and laughed until WAY too late.

Christmas day didn't go as originally planned.  We were invited to friend's house about 2 hours away to have Christmas dinner and spend the night.  When these friends lived here in town, they had no family close, and we spend part of almost every holiday with them.  Unfortunately, some illness popped up and we ended up not going.  In order to keep from hurting feelings on either side of our family, we quietly stayed home and just had a day with the five of us. 
We decided to scale back on the presents this year and do a few presents for each kid, and one big family gift.  We decided to get a Wii (yes, I know we're late in the game) and have had a blast playing it together!  Even Zoe has gotten in on the action, and is pretty good at bowling and golf.
The day after Christmas, we went to Ft. Worth to see my brother and his family.  My nephew, Justin, turned 9 that day, so we got to have Christmas and a birthday party all at once!  My sister-in-law, Megan, made cake pops to look like red Angry Birds and some to look like Lego man heads.  Cute!  Our kids always play great together and there was much laughter and nerf gun shooting.
We got together with my parents on Wednesday and had a YUMMY dinner of sour cream chicken enchiladas and salad, followed by sopapilla cheescake.  Oh, MY!  I will post recipes for both in another post.  We all got some fabulous presents, including a juicer for me, (I made apple pear juice the next morning!)
a Kindle for Seth,
and Zoe's favorite gift of the season, her American Girl doll.
Her face when she realized what she had gotten was priceless.  She promptly named her new friend, "Little Zoe," and has carried her EVERYWHERE.  She woke up four times that night to come tell me about her.  :o)
 Luke's favorite gift was his remote control truck Mike's mom got him.  I haven't been able to snap a picture of that yet, so here he is with his Angry Birds shirt!


As the new year rolls in, I can't help but think of things I'd like to accomplish in the next year.  Here's my list so far:
1. Run a 5K (or two) and possibly the White Rock Half Marathon.
2. Grow my little business so that it can replace the work I do outside of the home.
3. By more from the fresh food sections of the grocery store than from the pre-packaged sections.
4. Read my bible EVERY day.
5. Go on a date with Mike no less than once a month, preferrably twice.
6. Spend time alone with each of my kids once a week.
Share your new year's resolutions/goals!  I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment